Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 9: another brick in the wall

"Threw you the obvious and you flew with it on your back."


To be honest, I had suspected her all along. I can smell Ana's stench from a mile away. I know just what she's like. I wanted to do nothing more than to leap out from behind the curtains around the bed, point my finger at her and shout "I know all of this is Ana, don't you keep telling me it's something else!" 

Nobody else knew what was going on, not until the episodes started to coincide with meals and with certain foods. But I knew. I knew all along. I knew exactly what I wanted to say to her. 

You may think she's gone but she's always with you. You may have gone to an inpatient unit, you may not have restricted for years, you may think you've left that side of you in the distant past but you have not. I know her tricks, I know where she hides, I know when she likes to come out and play. You may be able to fool your mother, you may be able to fool all the other doctors but you cannot fool me. I may be fat, I may be binge eating, but she's in my head every second of every day and I see her in you too. 

So I talked and talked and talked. I talked to her every day, I talked to her in lots of different ways. And she fought me and fought me until one day she just got it. She got it. She saw what Ana was doing, the weird ways that she was coming out, and now she's all better again. But that made me think. Do we ever shake her off? 

Sorry for being so fatalistic/nihilistic today. Sometimes I feel like we are all the same, all just another brick in the wall, the big, big wall that is ED and that is all we will ever be. 

Sometimes I think all my patients that are annoying and demanding and frustrating are just bricks in a wall that I keep running into. That's how I feel about my job sometimes. I have to get up in the morning, every morning and keep running into the same wall. 

Run, hit, bleed and binge. That's the cycle I'm in. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm so stuck. I'm stuck professionally, I'm stuck personally and I'm so stuck with my ever increasing weight. 

I want to die every time I see Mark because he's just so perfect. And now, to add insult to injury, there is a surgeon who makes me all hot and bothered as well. I don't even know what his name is. But I want to just jump on him. Dammit. I need a break from life. A permanent break from life. 

2 comments:

  1. it's nice to see that you're still blogging.
    i always loved your writing.

    and i cannot explain why but i'm sort of glad that the professor is still part of your life - but surprised at the same time that you're still trying to figure out what kind of relationship you guys have.
    to me it always sounded like you've found another father figure, a "friend" who's not close enough to get dangerous and a person to respect close enough to be considered an advisor - which is dangerous again because you shouldn't reveal too much.

    i've always had such relationships. and my advice would be not to worry about it too much.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had to stop and think about the 'just another brick in the wall'. i can't make a lot of it so.
    oh you gained .0005 grams a day. love, you are not fat.
    and aww the jumping thing makes me a little happy
    im really off its 4:26am and i can't sleep and i can't form coherent thoughts
    -Sam Lupin

    ReplyDelete